Previously working in a small UK startup that became a global company of over 150 people, operationally I have experienced and tackled my fair share of business problems.
Now all businesses have problems, and that isn’t supposed to be a negative – they help us learn, help us grow stronger, become more knowledgeable and so forth. But sometimes they can cost us money and time that we don’t have.
As a manager, director or even Chief, how often have you heard or been involved in a conversation like the following, when it comes to one of those such business problems?
- Staff member: ‘I know what the problem is, and I know how to fix it, but…’?
- Manager: ‘Well if you know what the problem is, and how to fix it, then why is it not fixed. It is costing us more time and money not fixing the problem, than it would if you just…’
I used to hate it as the staff member, because my reasoning, in my opinion, was always sound – time and not enough people to get the job done without sacrificing client satisfaction.
But as I became the manager, I realised exactly what that meant, and exactly what I had been doing wrong – I had presented another problem, as opposed to delivering on the solution.
So I listened and learned to what my colleagues were telling me, and I changed tack. My colleague and friend Alison Norman (to whom I’ll always be grateful) handed me the 8D Solutions process wheel (image below) and my working life changed – I pinned it up at my desk and referred to it every day.
My mantra became, don’t come to me with a problem unless you have thought of at least 3 possible solutions that we can discuss and look to implement. And that went for myself as well – it still does.
But why am I talking about this?
Well, because I’ve been there. I know what it’s like, I know what I’ve learned from it, and I honestly do believe that Shorke can help businesses tackle these problems and become more successful as a result.
A lot of the problems I faced were to do with the ever changing world of software technology and how it’s used in a business to make it more efficient, more productive etc – whether this be software used in-house for operational purposes, or software that has / is being developed by the company to sell.
A couple of examples:
- A lot of my clients tell me that they have this great piece of software that they use, but when queried, don’t really know how to use it to it’s fullest potential, or even if it’s actually working for them. Or they have so many software applications being used internally, it’s pretty overwhelming, and it’s costing a lot in time and money, with no consistency in how to effectively communicate internally.
- You company has developed this amazing piece of software, but your development team are 100% utilised maintaining the platform – there is no time for additional features and functionality, and you feel like you are losing your competitive edge as other companies catch up. Or the expertise within the business has reached it’s limits, and you don’t know how to scale the software to the next level, whether it can be, or what would be needed.
So what can Shorke bring to the table:
- Software consultancy and review – we can look at what you have already, assess what’s working, what isn’t, and make assessments and recommendations you can rely on. It is my specific area of expertise – problem solving and solutions.
- Software outsourcing – including, but by no means least:
- Software design – going hand in hand with our Prototyping service, our incredible design team are second to none at turning your vision into a creative reality. The end results are not only beautiful, but also factor in mobile and tablet devices too.
- Prototyping – it allows us to create an online working version of your software vision, letting us play around with ideas and tweak what does and doesn’t work. It is like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle – fitting the different elements together to create a brilliant whole.
- Development – where we bring your idea to life, utilising the designs and prototypes created, to develop your new application. Our team takes an iterative approach to development, where we work in stages and obtain your feedback throughout.
- Production – hand in hand with all stages of our software development, our production service gives us the tools that we need to manage the process throughout, to keep you informed throughout, and to make delivery as transparent and painless as possible.
If you are interested in discussing any of the above and how they have impacted you and your business, and want to see if Shorke can help, then please do email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or give us a call (+44 (0)800 774 7306).
We look forward to hearing from you!